Thursday, July 26, 2012

Day 26: Issyk "Cool"


Today, I found myself surrounded by snow-capped mountains on the beach of lake Issyk Kul for a summer camp with learners and teachers. I never imagined I would find myself here.


You see, three years ago I had a Kyrgyz student in one of my classes in Washington, DC. She developed an elaborate business plan as a class project to develop tourism on lake Issyk Kul. I remember her descriptions of this thermal salt lake - one of the largest in the world - and enthusiastic ambassadorship for her home country. She sold me on the fact that Issyk Kul was a place worth visiting, but I couldn't imagine making my way to the middle of Central Asia for such a visit.

And here I am. It's as incredible as promised. Surrounded by enthusiastic campers, I enjoyed a touch of what the lake has to offer, and I would love an opportunity to spend more time hiking in the mountains and swimming. It's a place that I am thrilled to be visiting and to which I cannot wait to return.






No comments:

What is that noise encircling our home?

Screeching around our home, the cicadas that come with the onset of the rainy season sound like an army of broken hard drives droning in fr...