Saturday, September 29, 2012

Day 88: Trading with Babushkas

This morning, we made a trek out to the market and were lucky enough to find a parking space directly across the street where all of the old ladies come into town to sell the produce from their gardens. I had a great time picking out beautiful apples, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, carrots, and garlic. Prized purchase of the day was a kilo of cranberries on which the seller gave me a discount and then threw in some lingon berries as a gift. (Those will be tasty come Thanksgiving, won't they?) My favorite transaction was with an old woman who was knitting slippers and selling plants potted in used mayonnaise buckets (yes, they love mayonnaise so much here that the do sell it in small buckets). She explained to me that aloe vera was healing and gave me a tour of her other delights (only 5-6 other pots sitting on the ground). I walked away with that plant and another for about six dollars and both of us felt like we made a good deal. The babushkas are my favorite part of the market.

No comments:

What is that noise encircling our home?

Screeching around our home, the cicadas that come with the onset of the rainy season sound like an army of broken hard drives droning in fr...