Sunday, September 09, 2012

Day 70: Early Riser

This is not a country that gets up very early even on weekdays. Today, I awoke at 6:30 and was restless to get going. I dwaddled in my room and finally went down to the lobby of the hotel at 7:30 to see if I could get some breakfast and use the internet. The receptionist looked at me like I was crazy for being up so early and sternly told me that the restaurant would not open until 8:00 a.m. I pulled out my laptop and read the news until 8:00 a.m. No signs of movement or smells of cooking, so I decided to make the most of my morning, join the tweeting birds, and go for a walk through the streets of Taraz. I found delightful surprises - green, shady walkways, fountains, a crisp tingle to the air with mountains visible in the distance. And I had the feeling that I had this charming town all to myself in the early hours of the day. Peace.

Main street in Taraz

Looking towards the mountains (and sun)

Main square with fountains

Important-looking building with a park, benches, and fountains

A yurt in the yard of a city complex

Pretty flowers I stopped to say hello to along the way

I like the feeling this statue conveys - beyond words

From a bit later in the day, these are some students that I hung out with in the park making TARAZ with body letters.


No comments:

What is that noise encircling our home?

Screeching around our home, the cicadas that come with the onset of the rainy season sound like an army of broken hard drives droning in fr...