Saturday, September 26, 2020

Won't you be my neighbor?

 

Recently, Uli was introduced to Mr. Rogers, so last weekend we watched this documentary. It was beautiful and almost felt like a movie that has somehow given you a hug while watching it. And sometimes you need a hug. While not a central piece of my childhood, Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood was still on air and, together with the science show for kids 3-2-1 Contact, it was PBS programming that we watched on occasion. Most notably, the theme song and some of Mr. Rogers' routines such as changing his sweater and shoes are pieces of Americana that we all know and recognize. 

The film got me thinking about neighbors and the common good, finding what is special in every child (and human being), and how effective and poignant such an example of kindness can be. He tackled tough themes but did so with so much calm, focus, and goodness. His authenticity and empathy seemed to pervade his actions and motivate his encounters with others. 

Wouldn't it be fine if we all could be such a neighbor for one another? Wouldn't it be fine to encounter gentleness and empathy in those we meet? Wouldn't it be possible for us to go back, put on a fresh sweater and change our shoes, and just enjoy the company of a neighbor? 

As for me, I am not sure I have the right wardrobe but I'm going to see if I can seek such goodness and emulate such authenticity in my neighborhood of this universe.

No comments:

What is that noise encircling our home?

Screeching around our home, the cicadas that come with the onset of the rainy season sound like an army of broken hard drives droning in fr...