Friday, August 24, 2012

Day 54: Trying to Keep it Clean

I grew up with a washing machine that had three or four settings - hot, warm, and cold - and a dial with cycles such as delicate, cotton, and permanent press. I've finagled washing machines that were boxes that turned water before I had to hand carry laundry to a separate spinning device. I've refashioned my tub into a washing machine. I've done laundry in Europe with strange symbols, temperature displays (so much more complicated than the simple hot/cold distinction), and three hour cycles. In my Kazakh apartment, I am spoiled. I have a new newfangled "Candy" washing machine that has more options than I care to understand. Today, I tried with the manual (in five languages and as thick as a phone book) and managed to get into an argument with the machine. After spinning and sputtering, I put a stop to it, flooding the floor of my bathroom. I guess we know who won that argument! 



No comments:

What is that noise encircling our home?

Screeching around our home, the cicadas that come with the onset of the rainy season sound like an army of broken hard drives droning in fr...