Friday, February 01, 2008

Marooned... but at least there's Internet

You've got to appreciate a country where Internet is a basic right. You find it in the usual places such as libraries and cafes. Here in Estonia, you also find it in the forest in the middle of nowhere (denoted by a square blue sign with an @ sign). Remarkably, Estonian Internet access is also free, even at the Tallinn airport. I don't know why the attitude towards offering Internet services is so different here than in other places, but I am often grateful.

Now is one of those moments. I've been working in Kuressaare, a town on the biggest Estonian island of Saaremaa, for the last week and planned to return to the mainland this evening. However, as we all know, the best laid plans are often foiled. There is a windstorm and none of the ferries have been operating today. Nothing to do but await the return of bus services; Internet access is a welcome distraction at the moment as I am nervous about the return. You see, I have booked a wonderful SUN vacation to Egypt, and my flight leaves tomorrow morning at 8:00 a.m. The last bus possibility today from the island, if the ferries are operating, is at 5:30 p.m. Keep your fingers crossed... in the meanwhile, I'll be nervously surfing through my exile from the mainland.

5 comments:

Dzeniferka said...

Writing this comment while waiting for the bus (it is supposed to come in 10 minutes). Tragedy struck -- I ran out of credit on my phone. No problem. Wi-fi in bus station and can refill phone online with e-banking. Isn't e-stonia great?

Nana said...

It sounds like it. I hope you made that bus, Jenn!!!

Dzeniferka said...

We made it! Once again, the wonder of free access to wireless, I write from the airport where we await our flight to Egypt. We made it finally around 8:30 last night to Tallinn! Woo-hoo... the sun awaits :)

Cris said...

I want to got to Egypt. :) It's funny reading these posts Dzen, now that I'm living in Indiana and not Guatemala because, for example, the temperature reading on your website for Estonia right now is the same as that in Lafayette. :)

I'm happy to hear you're going to have sand under your feet (and in your hair, and up your nose, and in your clothes...).

Be sure to post some pictures!

Cris.

JH said...

Dzen,
I have enjoyed reading about your experiences in Estonia. I had a stereotypical image of it being too cold in the winter to do anything except hibernate, but it seems to be not so different from where I live. I have learned that the key to being happy in the winter is to enjoy the outdoors as most as possible. Staying cooped up inside will drive a person crazy. My response is more directed to the rest of your blog rather than this post. Enjoy Egypt!
Jimbo

What is that noise encircling our home?

Screeching around our home, the cicadas that come with the onset of the rainy season sound like an army of broken hard drives droning in fr...